The River Ffyddion rises 4.5 miles to the east of here and is joined a mile away at Marian Mills by water from a spring called Ffynnon Asa. After falling some 70 feet over this waterfall the river makes its way westwards and joins the River Clwyd west of Rhuddlan.
The Domesday Book of 1086 mentions a mill in the Dyserth area, but whether it was located at the waterfalls is not known.
It is probable that the massive pair of walls to the left of the falls were built to support a water wheel which would have been driven by water diverted from above the waterfall. The walls could be medieval, but their history is unknown.
The path up the steps between the walls continues over the hill and joins public footpaths to the upper village and the Dyserth-Prestatyn walkway. It also joins the Dyserth Circular Walk.
Additional information: *At the time of publication, there was a small fee of 50p charged to view the waterfall. *Some children may find the walk to the top a little steep. * There is a little shop selling ice creams, drinks and cakes at reasonable prices. *Steps to the falls make the area inaccessible for pram and wheelchair users.